Reminder/Warning

Jennifer Morrow

After a lovely day of birding most of the day, I decided to walk over to Fort Mason, where I bird frequently. I am really sad to say I was robbed at gunpoint shortly after I arrived. It was only 4pm, and I was on the sidewalk in front of the row of homes leading to the Battery, but not even close to the Battery. I did not have my camera out, but I think they saw me take photos a few minutes earlier in front of the Community Garden and followed me. They pushed me to the ground and kicked me to get my camera bag/sling off me, I really held on to my binocular -- which is crazy cause they had gun and were really trying to get that too. But people came out of the houses and the guy ran to the getaway car waiting for him.

I know everyone knows this is something we have to look out for while birding - and hope this reminder helps people stay vigilant - I always keep this possibility in mind and look around but he ran at me from behind really quickly and shoved the gun in my face.

Take care,

Jennifer

Lisa Morehouse

Oh my goodness. This is so awful. I'm really sorry it happened to you.

If birding alone starts to feel uncomfortable, please reach out.

Lisa

--
independent public radio reporter/producer
californiafoodways.com

Pamela Llewellyn

Lame question but I have to ask - any chance someone caught some video of this?  As if that would do any good.  So heartbreaking to have to think of this every time we go out with a camera.

Thanks for letting us know.  So sorry you had to experience this personal violation.

Pamela Llewellyn
CPESC, QSD, QSP
Stormwater Professional
510-316-8932