Red Whiskered Bulbul at Fort Mason

David Assmann

Battery

R K Bose

That sounds amazing!
Thanks!
Seen them in India, but astounded that one's appeared here.
(I just looked up Google, and it seems Miami has a small flock. Wonder if it can survive in California.)

Rupa Bose

On Wednesday, July 28, 2021, 08:40:16 AM PDT, David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann@...> wrote:

Battery

Adam Winer

Red-whiskered Bulbuls are on the California list as an introduced species, but entirely because of the well-established population in southern California (in the general vicinity of Los Angeles).

However, a bird in San Francisco is most likely a local escapee.

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 3:20 PM R K Bose via groups.io <fk94131=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
That sounds amazing!
Thanks!
Seen them in India, but astounded that one's appeared here.
(I just looked up Google, and it seems Miami has a small flock. Wonder if it can survive in California.)

Rupa Bose

On Wednesday, July 28, 2021, 08:40:16 AM PDT, David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Battery

Alok Singhal

Same, I saw them in India all the time.  Apparently they are quite an invasive species so I think it's worrisome that they are in California.  http://www.iucngisd.org/gisd/species.php?sc=1230:

Pycnonotus jocosus (red-whiskered bulbul) has been found to damage commercial crops, compete with and displace native passerines, prey on endemic young birds and arthropods, and spread invasive plant species (Clergeau & Mandon-Dalger, 2001; Linnebjerg et al. 2009; Linnebjerg et al., in press). In California this species has signficantly damaged citrus crops. On Oahu Island, Hawai'i it consumes commercial fruits and flowers such as papaya and orchids. Damage to agriculture has been documented in other parts of its introduced range in Florida, La Réunion and Mauritius.

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 3:20 PM R K Bose via groups.io <fk94131=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
That sounds amazing!
Thanks!
Seen them in India, but astounded that one's appeared here.
(I just looked up Google, and it seems Miami has a small flock. Wonder if it can survive in California.)

Rupa Bose

On Wednesday, July 28, 2021, 08:40:16 AM PDT, David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Battery

janet ellis

I’ve seen a lot at the Los Angeles Arboretum and Botanical Gardens in Arcadia and the nearby neighborhoods.

Janet Ellis
Newark

On Wednesday, July 28, 2021, 3:48 PM, Alok Singhal <gandalf013@...> wrote:

[...]

Beki Thomson

Yes, they are illegal even as pets in at least some part of Australia.