Red phalorope at Lake Merced

Josiah Clark

There is a single basic plumage red phalarope in with 15 red-necked
 phalaropes at the concrete bridge. On the impound lake side.
Josiah Clark | Habitat Potential | Consulting Ecologist | 415.317.3978
License #1043929

Sarah Burton

Great spot, Josiah. Thank you for posting. Whitney Grover and I we're able to pick it out of the flock together at about 5:30pm. Told apart from Red-necked Phalarope by its partial black crown, bright white throat, gray mantle, and overall larger, however slight, appearance

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 14:50 Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621@...> wrote:

There is a single basic plumage red phalarope in with 15 red-necked
 phalaropes at the concrete bridge. On the impound lake side.
Josiah Clark | Habitat Potential | Consulting Ecologist | 415.317.3978
License #1043929

Nico Stuurman

There was one Red-necked Phalarope south of the bridge this morning, and a group of about 15 Phalaropes north of the bridge. Failed to get close enough in the limited time I had to ID a Red Phalarope in that group. The group was missing up and down the lake quite a it, and the towers plus motor boat may push them elsewhere again.

Best,

Nico

--
Nico Stuurman

Bob Hall

Boats: The General Public is allowed to launch personal boats that are not gas motorized in the North Lake Merced only.

Does this mean you were seeing electric powered boats on the water?

Bob Hall
SF

--
Bob Hall
San Francisco, CA

Josiah Clark

Thank you Sarah! There were some non-believers in my contingent as well but encouraged that you could see your way through the details, as birders do.
I am grateful to see these things up close and often on the ocean.
  As for the power boat and a Ferris wheel issues, these can distract and divide us when it comes to much bigger and more important conservation topics.

On Aug 5, 2021, at 6:42 PM, Sarah Burton <burtosarah@...> wrote:

Great spot, Josiah. Thank you for posting. Whitney Grover and I we're able to pick it out of the flock together at about 5:30pm. Told apart from Red-necked Phalarope by its partial black crown, bright white throat, gray mantle, and overall larger, however slight, appearance

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 14:50 Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621@...> wrote:

There is a single basic plumage red phalarope in with 15 red-necked
 phalaropes at the concrete bridge. On the impound lake side.
Josiah Clark | Habitat Potential | Consulting Ecologist | 415.317.3978
License #1043929

Bob Hall

Josiah said, "As for the power boat and a Ferris wheel issues, these can distract and divide us when it comes to much bigger and more important conservation topics.

If you don’t pursue these divisive issues in the time of biodiversity collapse then the city thinks all of its citizens are okay with seven acres of plastic soccer fields, lights on the Great Highway during migration, fireworks on the bank swallow colony, dogs in the snowy plover area, non-beneficial exotic plantings in renovated parks, lawns and concrete where habitat and marshes could go and yes, power boats in a lake with breeding and migrating birds…it’s not enough just to post and grouse about how bad things are getting. Sometimes you have to take notice and take action. At least, try to educate the city officials. I know you’ve done that in the past, grouse but also educate city officials, so I’m surprised you’re down on activism.

Bob Hall
SF