Topics

"red-naped" sapsucker

Dominik Mosur

Peter, thank you for the clarification. Looking forward to any additional information about this bird.

Additionally I'd like to share this link :

This the daily updated homepage for bird sightings within San Francisco county as recorded in eBird.

Look under "recent visits" to see what's being reported.

On Jan 30, 2020, at 14:53, Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:

More specifically, the "Red-naped" Sapsucker (we'll have to check specimens to fully eliminate any Yellow-bellied Sapsucker genes, or at least try to) was present from about 1115 to noon in the large Eucalypti and Monterey Pines to the SW of the horseshoe pit area near the NE corner of Golden Gate Park (Stanyon and Fulton). To the south of the pit (and above the rock mural of the horseshoer) is a hill with two large Monterey Pines. Best to stand on this hill and look into the Eucalyptus to the east, and the pines on the hill. It has also been seen in the surrounding oaks in previous days.

We'll post photos soon on eBird.

Peter

At 02:36 PM 1/30/2020, Rudyard Wallen wrote:
Yes, where it was initially reported. So far has now been seen in the areas adjacent to the N, SE, S, SW of the horseshoe pits.  -r

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:31 PM Adam Winer <<mailto:awiner@...>awiner@...> wrote:
 I'm guessing this is the horseshoe pit in NE Golden Gate Park, but that's a guess.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:29 PM Rudyard Wallen <<mailto:arelist12@...>arelist12@...> wrote:
Sorry, was shooting and tracking bird while typing (hence the auto-correct). Three birders showed up so I guess it was useful to someone? More later but after work.   -Rudy, SF

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:25 PM <<mailto:rosemary@...>rosemary@...> wrote:
What use is this to anyone  … where or what is h.p?

On Jan 30, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Rudyard Wallen <<mailto:arelist12@...>arelist12@...> wrote:

just south of the h.s. Pit

via Cher Ami