Red breasted x Red-naped Sapsucker?

David Webster

I saw this at Mountain Lake this a.m.   Would this be considered a hybrid, or plain Red-breasted?

There does appear to be alot of black behind the head, but the only white from bill extending back to below the eye.

David Webster

David Webster

not great photos, but probably sufficient for i.d.

David Webster

Thank you, Rudyard!  Reading a recent description of the hybrid in the Botanical Garden is what have me pause. I will leave my post as RBSA.

Good birding

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022, 1:49 PM Rudyard Wallen <rudyardwallen@...> wrote:
Cool. Yeah tough one. I'd call it a RBSA. There's a small chance it's an xRN that leans heavily towards RB parentage. If you have a denser photo of the greater coverts (see attached) I might be able to age it- that would help (If HY/SY then RBSA, if Adult then likely RB x RN... but I am thinking SY)

cheers