R-n Grebe & T Kingbird

Brian Fitch

I spent quality time with a Red-necked Grebe at the Sutro Baths this morning.  It was fishing not far from the terrace north of the baths for more than an hour of the time I spent seawatching.

At South Lake in GG Park, I ran into Bob Gunderson and we tried to find the Tropical Kingbird discovered recently by Danial Scali, but we weren't able to locate it.  After moving on to North Lake, we met Randy Wardle (sp?), who had seen the bird earlier and cued us in on to where it had been lethargically hanging out while he watched it.  We all went back to South Lake and immediately found the kingbird out flycatching along the south shore in good view.

Last week, on a neighborhood walk with my wife, we heard and then spotted a Bewick's Wren along Buena Vista Ave East, at the condo complex and then across the street in BV Park.  I can't recall seeing the species in this park before.  Last year's Yellow-bellied Sapsucker remains missing from any of his previous haunts.
Brian Fitch