Presido Barn Owls

aaron.mermelstein@...

Hello All,

I am new to this chat and relatively new to birding in SF, so I hope this is the right place for this question.

I have seen two Barn Owls recently roosting under the eaves of a house on Pacific ave. facing the Presidio playground and the El Polin Spring area. From iNaturalist accounts it looks like these are returning nesters getting ready to start for the season. When I last visited them earlier this week I saw there was a DEMO notice on the house, luckily the comment period is still open for the permit.

These are my questions:
  • Does anyone have a recommendation for a group I should contact about this?  I reached out to Golden Gate Audubon to see if they handle cases like this, but they have not gotten back to me yet. If not I will bring it to the attention of the city planners myself, but I thought there may be a group that is better equipped to lodge a complaint...
  • What protections do Barn owls have? I know they are not endangered, but it would still be great if they could hold off on demolishing the house, at least until nesting season is over.
  • If their nesting site is destroyed over the winter, will they be able to find a new site next season?

Also, this is seems to be time sensitive, so I believe we should act sooner rather than later! thank you,
-Aaron