Prairie Warbler @ Battery Godfrey, 9/4/21

Paul Saraceni

Early this morning (7:35 AM) I briefly observed a PRAIRIE WARBLER @ Battery Godfrey.  I first heard its chip call and spotted it in a bush below the small cypress at the N end of the Battery. It then quickly flew down the hill to the north where I briefly observed it in a coyote bush. It promptly disappeared, likely to the north, and I could not refind it during an hour of searching the restoration area and scrub between the Battery and the parking lot to the north. It was a rather dull-plumaged immature female. It was doing characteristic tail-bobbing during my observation.

Just a few other migrants were around the Battery and in the scrub to the south of it, including:
Willow Flycatcher 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
House Wren 1
Yellow (3) & Orange-crowned (1) Warblers
Common Yellowthroat 2

3 Parasitic Jaegers were in the Channel harassing Elegant Terns.

I also took a walk around Ft. Scott and Dragonfly Creek. Small numbers of western migrants included:
W. Wood-Pewee 1
Pac.-slope Flycatcher 2
Warbling Vireo 5
Yellow (3), Orange-crowned (1), Townsend's (1) & Wilson's (3) Warblers
Western Tanager 3

Paul Saraceni
San Francisco