Topics

Possible goshawk

Brian Fitch

Not definite but what looked like a juvenile goshawk flew near battery Godfrey at 12 40 heading se
Will research later but keep your eyes open
Brian fitch

Brian Fitch

While I did not observe diagnostic plumage details, I'm going to ID this bird as a juvenile female Northern Goshawk, based on the very large size and on flight style.  The size of a Red-tailed, mostly soaring, with only a few strong stiff wing beats, all buffy base color, strong streaking on breast and belly, broad based wings, strong white supercilium.  I did not note the vent for perimeter streaks, and the tail was folded.  I only picked her up when she was past me, allowing maybe a 7 second view before vanishing behind the cypress, heading a little east of southeast.  I saw several Coop's before and after for some sense of size comparison.

A number of birders were out in the morning, but I was alone when the Gos flew by.  Jonah joined me again later in the PM, and we had an interesting gull fly by that he got some shots of, so maybe we''ll learn more when its on a bigger screen.

Other species, highlights only:
Greater White-fronted Goose - 20+ over Marin, spotted by Hugh, 22 over the GG Gate midday
Turkey Vulture - 9 south, 2 north
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 3 south
Cooper's Hawk - 4 south
Red-shouldered Hawk - 1 north
Broad-winged Hawk - 1 light morph juv south
Red-tailed Hawk - 7 north, 8 south
American Kestrel - 1 female south, spotted by Jonah
dowitcher sp. - flock of 8-10
Vaux's Swift - roughly 10 viewed at great height, likely many more unseen
Western Scrub-Jay - flock of 25 winding north among cypresses

Brian Fitch