Possible Female Vermilion Flycatcher

David Nelson

There is a possible female Vermillon Flycather perched on a light pole in the median of Doyle Drive south of Sports bldg. pale breast with rufous flanks, dark back tail wings head. Constantly flicking tail. Smaller than Say's Phoebe or Black Phoebe.

I hope someone finds it.

David W. Nelson

David Nelson

Aaron,
Aaron,

I was driving northbound on Doyle Drive, now called Presido Parkway. Doyle Drive was renamed Presidio Parkway after construction. My boss Michael Painter designed it and worked on it for over 20 years. This is the new constructed road through the Presidio from Lombard St. to GG Bridge.

I was on my way home and driving toward the bridge, against the median going about 3mph. As I approached the sign base for the big sign southbound, I saw a small dark flycatcher sitting on the top of one of the support posts for an orange utility box located just west of the big sign post base. My earlier report was while I was driving and I cut the description short. It looked like a Black Phoebe from a distance, and was facing away from me. All I could see was the dark head, back and tail. As I approached, it was more dark gray than black and I could start to see the hint of pale breast. My reaction was Eastern Phoebe. Then, when I was right next to it I could see the rufous (orangish) color on the flank side facing me, below the dark wing and above and to the rear of the pale whitish breast. I immediately thought female Vermillion Flycatcher. As I entered the tunnel, I thought I wonder if I could get to the far right lane and drive back and see if I could get a photo. I did make it across and exited at the GG Bridge last exit. I made my way to the drive above the big south wall and found a parking spot. I got my camera out and bins. I walked across to the fence above the wall and scanned below. It was gone. I scanned west to the tunnel, across the cypress trees and to the large willows near the Sports Basement parking lot, then along the median and north right of way to the east tunnel. Nothing. I scanned across the roof of the Sports Basement and to the other building/parking/construction area to the west. Nothing. I scanned the shrubs and cypress trees around me on the south side, nothing. Maybe it went to roost? It was getting darker. I drove down to the small parking area near the Sports Basement west parking lot and walked to the south end of the parking lot and pished. I could only find White Crowned Sparrows. I think it would be worth the effort to try again in the morning.

David W. Nelson

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2021 5:27 PM
To: David Nelson
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Possible Female Vermilion Flycatcher

Hi where did you view this from? I’ll go check it out, I’m sure others are too.
On Feb 19, 2021, at 5:24 PM, David Nelson <David@mpadesign.com> wrote:

There is a possible female Vermillon Flycather perched on a light pole in the median of Doyle Drive south of Sports bldg. pale breast with rufous flanks, dark back tail wings head. Constantly flicking tail. Smaller than Say's Phoebe or Black Phoebe.

I hope someone finds it.

David W. Nelson