Pelicans, foxes and Pt counts

Jay Withgott <withgott@...>

regarding your
PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER seemingly lost deep in the eucalyptus
northwest of the parking lot at the north end of Lake Merced.
I was surprised to learn from Tom Gardali at PRBO that Pac Slopes arent
uncommon breeders in Eucs. Go Figure, but then again the Presidios only
record is from Eucs...
keep an eye on that guy if you have the chance.
I think that bird has been there for a month at least. I first heard it
back when everybody was seeing that Palm Warbler there, whenever that
was.

Josiah Clark <sunbittern@...>

The 12 White Pelicans were flying in formation in just to the S of Crissy Field. They were generally heading East, but their course waiverd a bit, and at one point it looked like they might have been heading toward Crissy!
2 Killdeer are on nests in fenced areas at Crissy, and might finally get a shot at success. A breeding plumaged Bonopartes GUll was on the lagoon last week, otherwise just a few summer regulars.
I have to hope these are on their way to breed and not just floaters without a place to settle... Anyway this was city bird for me. 4 of my co workers got to see them as well.

Thanks for getting this one out quick Mark-
regarding your
PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER seemingly lost deep in the eucalyptus
northwest of the parking lot at the north end of Lake Merced.
I was surprised to learn from Tom Gardali at PRBO that Pac Slopes arent uncommon breeders in Eucs. Go Figure, but then again the Presidios only record is from Eucs...
keep an eye on that guy if you have the chance.

I have been conituing the points from PRBOs bird census last year. Yesterday we GPS ed 24 points(2 had RS hawk nests over them!) and Im going to do Vegetation sampling in weeks to come. ( If anyone is interested in seeing the techniques, it would be an excellent way to turn morning birding stops into valuable conservation ammo in years to come.)
On the Red fox note, the Presidio pair has produced 6 cubs. I know coyote presence is correlated to increased bird diversity in urban areas, anyone know if Red foxes function as tertiary predators?
best
Josiah

Mark W. Eaton <mweaton@...>

Jay Withgott wrote:

regarding your
PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER seemingly lost deep in the eucalyptus
northwest of the parking lot at the north end of Lake Merced.
I was surprised to learn from Tom Gardali at PRBO that Pac Slopes arent
uncommon breeders in Eucs. Go Figure, but then again the Presidios only
record is from Eucs...
keep an eye on that guy if you have the chance.
I think that bird has been there for a month at least. I first heard it
back when everybody was seeing that Palm Warbler there, whenever that
was.
I have a very naive question. It's been widely assumed that PSFL breeds in SF,
presumably in McClaren if not other spots in the city. Why then have I never
hear the full PSFL song in SF?

Mark
--
Mark Eaton mailto:mweaton@pacbell.net
SFBirds Web Page http://home.pacbell.net/mweaton

"Money can add nothing to what I already have. What enables me to live
better is ideals. Besides, money is like snow in winter. It
accumulates slowly, but melts away rapidly."

- Ba Jin, July 1944, from the Epilogue of "Garden of Repose"
(Foreign Language Press, Beijing, China, first edition 1988. ISBN
0-8351-1055-9)

Harry Fuller <harry_fuller@...>

There was a very vocal and nesting PSFLY near Kobbe & Upton last year, my July
bird walk group all got good looks and listens...have not checked yet this
year...I suspect most of the ones seen in spring are NOT nesting but just
passing through
last month on the flycatcher day at East Wash the PSFly there did call a few
times though with nothing like the mindless insistence of the O/s FLy
The PSFly at Davidson this morning was silent

06/01/2000 03:50:34 PM ----------

Please respond to mweaton@pacbell.net

To: Jay Withgott <withgott@pacbell.net>, SFBirds <sfbirds@egroups.com>
cc:
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Pelicans, foxes and Pt counts

Jay Withgott wrote:

[...]

Les Chibana <les@...>

At Stevens Creek Park in Santa Clara County, I photographed a Pacific-
slope Flycatcher building a nest in the space between a piece of
exfoliating bark and the trunk of a euc 10 ft. up a few years ago. I've
also seen a nest in the hollow of a root wad of a redwood about 6 ft.
above the road in Heritage Grove along Alpine Rd. in San Mateo County.
Very different habitats.

Les Chibana, Palo Alto les@auc.com

On Wednesday, May 31, 2000, Josiah Clark <sunbittern@hotmail.com> wrote:
I was surprised to learn from Tom Gardali at PRBO that Pac Slopes arent
uncommon breeders in Eucs. Go Figure, but then again the Presidios only
record is from Eucs...
keep an eye on that guy if you have the chance.

Mark W. Eaton <mweaton@...>

Dan Singer wrote:

My theory at the time was that a certain number of birds of
several different species (e.g. PSFL, BUOR, BHGR, WAVI) would set up
territories in SF but could never attract a mate because perhaps the habitat
was/is so fragmented and degraded or the birds were too young or otherwise
unsatisfactory breeding material.
I would tend to agree, although I'm pretty sure I recall seeing both sexes
of a Black-headed Grosbeak pair in Glen Canyon in '98, one of which was
carrying nesting material. I may have even found the nest, but never saw
any young (or cowbirds, for that matter), probably because I was too
engrossed in finding my next year bird. :-|

This year there are three Bullock's orioles present, including at least one
female if recollection serves me. Maybe we'll get lucky this year...

Mark

--
Mark Eaton mailto:mweaton@pacbell.net
SFBirds Web Page http://home.pacbell.net/mweaton
Golden Gate Audubon Web Page http://goldengate.ca.audubon.org

"Leaders should lead as far as they can then vanish. Their ashes
should not choke the fire they have lit."

- H.G. Wells (1866-1946)

Dan Murphy <murphsf@...>

Dan and Mark,

Quite a number of years ago I had a Bullock's Oriole nest at the pump house at
Lake Merced on Harding Rd. This was back when the lake was higher and it was
nice a moist in there. We had a lot of vagrants in that grove then. I observed
the pair of birds and the active nest, but I don't know if they fledged young.

I suspect none of these birds are successful at nesting in SF every year, but I
suspect also that every now and then conditions are favorable and at least
Pacific-slope Flycatcher is successful. The vireos and grosebeaks may be less
likely to be successful for the reasons you suggest but also that their numbers
are generally fewers.

Dan