Topics

Oct. 17: Late migrants, Bald Eagle

Eddie Bartley

Noreen and I got a late start but when we arrived at Ft. Mason bird activity was still very high. Upon exiting our ride we heard alarm calls immediately looked up to an adult Peregrine with a yellowish-looking songbird in it's clutch. Missed both of David's rarities but located a female BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK, 2 Western Tanagers and a Nashville Warbler in the battery. SO many Yellow-rumps! https://ebird.org/checklist/S74987051

From El Polin Springs we heard a Red-tail complaint call looked up to a juvenile (first or second cycle) BALD EAGLE slow flapping over Inspiration Point, heading SE. Another "getting late" migrant was a WILSON"S WARBLER. https://ebird.org/checklist/S74986873

Traffic was a mess in northwest SF (everybody heading to Battery Godfrey maybe :) so we redirected to Mountain Lake where we were rewarded with another late migrant, a very pale WARBLING VIREO. Utterly failed at turning it into a Bell's Vireo by plumage, bill and size. Another bright Western Tanager on the way out was nice topper. https://ebird.org/checklist/S74997999

Happy Trails!

Eddie Bartley