Ocean Beach Shorebird

Brian Fitch

Seen this morning around Lawton.  I don't think I'm looking for an ID, but am interested in whether others have seen such a bill shape before.  This is my first photo post on the list, so I hope it works.
Brian FitchP1020133.jpg

P1020128.jpg

Peter Pyle

Hi Brian and all-

I’ve referred to this individual as a ‘Short-billed Long-billed Curlew’ It has been on Funston Beach since August or so. I posted some photos to eBird which I can link up later. It certainly gives an interesting first impression, but just a bird with some sort of bill deformity.

Good birding, Peter

On Jan 14, 2021, at 11:12, Brian Fitch <fogeggs@...> wrote:

Seen this morning around Lawton.  I don't think I'm looking for an ID, but am interested in whether others have seen such a bill shape before.  This is my first photo post on the list, so I hope it works.
Brian Fitch
<P1020133.jpg>

<P1020128.jpg>

Brian Fitch

Since August?  Our Balkanized reporting systems strike again.  I'm glad it's moved up to the main beach where it's more accessible.
Brian

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:44 AM Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:
Hi Brian and all-

I’ve referred to this individual as a ‘Short-billed Long-billed Curlew’ It has been on Funston Beach since August or so. I posted some photos to eBird which I can link up later. It certainly gives an interesting first impression, but just a bird with some sort of bill deformity.

Good birding, Peter

On Jan 14, 2021, at 11:12, Brian Fitch <fogeggs@...> wrote:

Seen this morning around Lawton.  I don't think I'm looking for an ID, but am interested in whether others have seen such a bill shape before.  This is my first photo post on the list, so I hope it works.
Brian Fitch
<P1020133.jpg>

<P1020128.jpg>

Paul Saraceni

Brian's photos caused me to jog my memory as well -- I looked back at my photo archive and have photos of what is likely the same, distinctive LB Curlew from 12/22/19 on the beach near the south end of the Great Highway.  Will put into eBirds and share link later.

Paul Saraceni
San Francisco

On 01/14/2021 11:43 AM Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:

Hi Brian and all-

I’ve referred to this individual as a ‘Short-billed Long-billed Curlew’ It has been on Funston Beach since August or so. I posted some photos to eBird which I can link up later. It certainly gives an interesting first impression, but just a bird with some sort of bill deformity.

Good birding, Peter

On Jan 14, 2021, at 11:12, Brian Fitch <fogeggs@...> wrote:

Seen this morning around Lawton.  I don't think I'm looking for an ID, but am interested in whether others have seen such a bill shape before.  This is my first photo post on the list, so I hope it works.
Brian Fitch
<P1020133.jpg>

<P1020128.jpg>

Peter Pyle