Topics

[northbaybirds] Information re: Tricolored Heron siting at Chrissy Field yesterday afternoon

Joe Morlan

There is a report on Facebook by Courtney Buechert who said the bird was
still at Rodeo Lagoon between 4:30 pm and 4:45 pm yesterday (Monday). So at
4:38 pm the bird was still in view at Rodeo Lagoon.

However, the time stamps on the SF photos by Lucas and Cedric posted on
eBird are 16:57 and 17:00 or 5pm which is a better fit for the same bird
theory.

FWIW, it was still at Rodeo Lagoon around noon today.

https://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/TricoloredHeronP1260369.htm

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 00:13:44 +0000 (UTC), "Mark Stephenson via Groups.Io"
<markstephenson4106=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Greetings Birders, Lucas and I along with Lucas Corneliussen and Pat Mahoney left the tricolored Heron at Rodeo Lagoon at 3:00 pm Monday. We arrived at the Coast Guard Pier about 3:50 having taken a wrong turn in an effort to view the Red-footed Booby. Mark Schulist who was with us at Rodeo arrived 10-15 minutes earlier and viewed
the Booby which had flown out into the Bay just before we arrived. We waited at the Pier and were rewarded at 4:38 pm when the Booby returned. While I was photographing the Booby, Lucas Stephenson, my son, spotted the Tricolored Heron flying east not far off shore in the company of 3 Snowy Egrets. We were able to get distant, but
ID able photos of the flight. They flew out of view but appeared to be heading toward the Crissy marsh. So Lucas, LC and Cedric set off to try to locate the roost. Unfortunately, They were unable to relocate the heron.
Hopefully the Tricolored Heron will be visible every evening near dusk at Crissy Field as it flys across the Bay and returns to its roosting location. Hope this helps.Happy Birding,Mark & Lucas Stephenson

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

Mark Stephenson

Hi Joe!
I corrected the time of the sighting to 4:58. The Booby returned at 4:38. Sorry for the error. I relayed this information to Courtney. I would guess the Heron could fly the mile or two fromthe  lagoon to Chrissy Firld in 5 minutes or so. It’s hard to believe there are 2 different Herons in the same vicinity.
Cheers,
Mark & Lucas