No BLBW, but another Blackpoll

Richard Bradus

Odd afternoon. Absolutely dead at Battery Chester, and blustery at the coast. So, when I arrived near the docks at Stow Lake mid afternoon, seeing an ornery crayfish crossing the path near where the Wood Ducks are usually seen, I took it as a good sign. Alas, the wind and the lack of avian activity continued, initially, as I climbed the stairs and got to the Strawberry Hill reservoir. Then, as the wind died down just after 3pm, an amazing mixed Warbler flock appeared from the west, working the trees along the slope south of the reservoir (along with a bunch of nuthatches).

Multiple Townsend's, Hooded, Black-throated Gray, Yellow and a dull Yellow-rumped (FOF for me) in the mix.Try as I might, I was unable to turn any of the immature Townsend's into a Blackburnian. But, as I was about to give up, a typical fall appearing Blackpoll showed itself distantly in the pines, dodging the nuthatches and chased a bit by one of the Townsend's. Not the brightest of our fall warblers but, hey, nice! Also nice was a female/immature Lazuli Bunting that popped out a couple of times at close range on the ground and in a berry-bearing bush just west of the top of the stairs at the reservoir.

So it may be worthwhile to visit Strawberry hill over the weekend - especially as the SF Botanical Garden will be busy with the Flower Piano show (also an enjoyable event).

Cheers!

Richard Bradus
San Francisco

Richard Bradus