Welcome to the new SFBirds@groups.io group. Please take a moment to review this message.
To learn more about this group, visit https://groups.io/g/SFBirds
Most importantly, please:
-Check to make sure your display name is set. Under subscription, click "Membership," click "Group Profile," then "Edit Group Profile." The important thing is to insure your "Display Name" is your full name, such that your emails go out as from John Doe and not fulmarfulmar28.
-Remember to use a full signature (Full name, city of residence) and date emails.
-Update your contacts. Now to send a message to the group, you'll need to send it to SFBirds@groups.io
A few more pointers, courtesy of Ryan Winkleman and Jeff Bray (thanks guys!), our neighbors to the south:
- Setting up your personal profile. Click the Subscription button.
- Under the default page (Membership), you'll be able to change the frequency with which you receive posts, and you'll be able to set your personal signature. By toggling the two checkboxes ("Use Signature For Web Posting" and "Use Signature For Email Posting"), you can add in your name and residence as your signature, and it will be added to your email automatically. *HOWEVER*, Sialia is stripping these currently, so we recommend you manually sign your emails for now.
- Under the next page (Group Profile) you can further edit your personal information. Here if you'd like you can add a profile photo, add your display name, add a bio if you'd like, and add your own website. Your profile photo will show up directly on your posts online.
- Searching for content. To search for posts, topics, or a specific name, go to the Messages page. On a desktop interface this will be located on the sidebar; on a mobile interface it will be permanently located on the bottom of the site no matter which page you are on. At the top of the messages page is the search button. Click it and type in whatever it is you're looking for. I think you'll find that it is very fast and works much more reliably than the old Yahoo! search results, which half the time would kick me out to the main Groups page, and the other half of the time would spin itself to infinity after scrolling down a couple pages. If you are looking for all posts by a particular user, you can do so easily from his/her profile page.
- Posting new messages.
- To post a new message from the desktop interface, click the "New Topic" button on the sidebar.
- To post a new message from a mobile interface, click the "New Topic" button at the bottom of page. This is a permanent button that stays no matter where you are on the site.
- To post a new message from your email, simply send an email to email@example.com
- Responding to messages. Messages are set to automatically respond privately, i.e. you will respond directly to the poster, not to the entire group. If you would like to respond with a group message,
- from the website simply click the reply button. Underneath the text box you will see three buttons: "Reply to Sender," "Discard," and "Group Reply." Click the "Group Reply" button and it will switch to a public reply.
- from your email simply Reply All. There is also a button at the very bottom of the email (in small text) to reply to the group.
If you do not wish to belong to SFBIRDS @groups.io, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to SFBIRDS +firstname.lastname@example.org
To see and modify all of your groups, go to https://groups.io. Look around on your computer and from your mobile device. Let us know if you have any feedback. There may be a few tweaks in the coming days, but hopefully this will be a more enjoyable experience than the last few months at Yahoo! Groups.