N. Parula

Dan Murphy <murphsf@...>

I observed Rich's Northern Parula this morning between 10:15 and 11 at
the west end of Pine Lake. From 34th and Wawona walk down the paved
path to the willow grove and listen. The bird was on the southwest
corner of the lake in a pine and in a cypress. It spent a lot of time
in willows including those at the west end of the lake. A lot of usual
stuff was there as well. I heard a report from other birders of a
Black-headed Grosebeak at the east end of the park.

Good birding, Dan

rferrick@...

Hope I didn't cause to much confusion with my Stern Grove description for the
N. Parula. It was my first time birding in that area, I asked a passer-by for
the name of the area and the person replied "Stern Grove". The Yellow Pages
map also didn' t show the Pine Lake detail for that area, but now I know. At
least the cross-streets were right.

Rich

Dan Murphy <murphsf@...>

Hi Rich,

This came up last time we had a big year. Everyone in the neighborhood calls
the entire park "the grove". I'm still not sure where the boundary between the
parks is. I do know that Sigmund Stern Grove was donated to SF by Stern's widow
and the boundary is the boundary of that property, but it takes a map to figure
out where that boundary is. I was ripped in the past for calling Pine Lake and
even the site just west of the parking lot as being in S S Grove. You're fine
on your description. The bird was at the west end of "the grove". By the way,
watch what you say when you bird at Shipyard Rock, or is that Double Rock? :-)

Thanks Rich. It was a great bird.

Best, Dan