Morning birds

GASSTATION@...

This morning, after checking a fogged in and windy East Waah, I ran into
Brian Fitch at the Cliff House. There were the usual species present, but I
spotted a Parasitic Jaeger, reasonablly near shore and got Brian on it. A
very nice adult bird. There were some good Sooty Shearwaters in the flocks
well off shore, and lots of Murres on the move. After Brain went to work I
decided on a whim to check out Ft. Miley, seeing as how the fog was lifting.
I parked (illegally) at the VA Hospital and walked in. Immedialy I heard an
unfamiliar warbler song. I tracked the bird up on to Battery James Chester,
where I eventually found the male MAGNOLIA WARBLER foraging and singing in
the pines and cypresses west of the batterey. The bird was very difficult to
see, as it spent most of the time high up in the trees, but sang almost
constantly, and was easy to keep track of. I rechecked the washes and they
were quiet

Kevin McKereghan
Gasstation@aol.com

Janice Andersen <Janandersen@...>

Once I read Kevin's message, had trouble concentrating on my work, so I gave up
and went out to Ft. Miley, got there are about 11 a.m. Wandered around quite
awhile (never been to Battery James Chester before). Fairly quiet other than
Brewer's blackbirds harrassing ravens (and vice versa) and a few cowbirds
"singing." Then I heard the song I've never heard before. Reminded me of a
Reader's Digest version of Warbling Vireo, but not as "warbling". This was on
the northeast side of the battery. I looked carefuly in the trees--lots of
dense foliage, so hard to get clear views of anything--for about 20 minutes.
Never saw it, and then the bird stopped singing. I waited around another 10 or
15 minutes. There was a good-sized tent (homeless camp?) not too far from where
I was standing, which made me a little nervous. And I was getting nervous
because I have so much work to do. May go back later and try again.

Jan