Topics

Monday Strybing Quail Check.

Alan Hopkins <ash@...>

I visited Strybing Arboretum this morning and did not see or hear any
quail. I did see an imm. Red-tail dive-bombing a Great Blue Heron, and
an imm. Cooper's Hawk going after the Starlings in the Eucalyptus above
the Succulent Garden. Cooper's Hawks are bad news for quail, let's hope
it moves on.

Alan

Daniel Murphy <danmur@...>

Alan,

Seems you might be out of luck in your hopes for Cooper's Hawk. I heard
about yet another possible nesting pair on Sunday. Seems they're being seen
with some regularity at Buena Vista Park. So if the birds remain where
they've been seen in recent years we should have that pair west of North
Lake and the possibility of another pair around Mallard Lake (only at the
rumor level of verification). There was a nest in the zoo last year and
birds were seen at the north east end of Harding Golf Course through the
nesting season. There is a report from the Olympic Club from a few years
ago. So based on recent year's reports, we have 2 nests confirmed
(exculuding the nest from a few years ago at Fort Funston), and the
possibilty of 4 others. That means we have between 2 and 6 nesting pairs of
Coops in SF. Pretty remarkable.

Remember too we are seeing more and more Red Foxes. Sounds like a tough
future for birds and small mammals.

Dan