Topics

Misc sightings

Alan Hopkins

This morning a tanager called briefly from the trees between the East Wash and the 3rd T. It sounded to my ears more like a Summer than a Western but I never saw it. There was a Red Crossbill calling along the path to the 3rd T and later another Crossbill singing in the trees along the maintenance road by the De Young. A Red-breasted Nuthatch was calling along the coast trail between the east wash and Eagle Point.

Sunday there was a Lazuli Bunting in the newly restored open area at the foot of the steps leading down from Inspiration Point in the Presidio. At El Polin there was a Bewick's Wren and a Mockingbird. I didn't see David or his Rose-breasted Grosbeak. The Olive-sided Flycatcher was calling from a nearby tree top. It would be great if we could confirm its nesting. The Presidio seems to be cutting a lot of the old pines and it would tragic if they cut down the trees that one of the City's last Olive-sided Flycatcher nests in.

Alan S. Hopkins
San Francisco, CA