Topics

McLaren Lodge Woodpeckers

Joachim Gonzalez

The Woodpecker bonanza at McLaren lodge continues, with the continuing Red Naped Sapsucker, as well as both subspecies of Red Breasted, Ruber and Daggetti. A Yellow Shafted Flicker was also seen, plus the more common Downy and Hairy.
7 species/subspecies of Woodpeckers here. Great fun.

Good Birding,
Joschim Gonzalez

Richard Bradus

Nice!

One of the lucky ones. I should point out that earlier in the day there was a whole MOB of top birders on sapsucker watch who went away disappointed - most at least saw a Red-breasted but not the Red-naped (and I saw a Nuttal's but didn't see any sapsuckers at all 😒).

Nevertheless, there were some consolations. I saw my FOS Allen's hummer, which chased off an Anna's and then did a nice back and forth display ending with the characteristic "fighter jet" fly by. And thanks to Brian Turner and Russ Bright - Brian pointed out a Black-throated Gray Warbler that was foraging in an oak right above my head, while Russ spotted a Slate-colored Junco at the horseshoe pits that was right out in the open for a minute or so providing great looks.

And, such a warm, beautiful day!

Richard Bradus
San Francisco