Topics

Long Weekend Fort Mason Local Interest & Yellow Headed Blackbird

David Assmann

Small numbers of migrants continue to move through Fort Mason, and overwintering birds are building in numbers. The young male ORCHARD ORIOLE continues. On Saturday, there were six WESTERN MEADOWLARKS, three SAVANNAH SPARROWS, a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, and a WESTERN TANAGER. Sunday the highlight was a PARASITIC JAEGER chasing an ELEGANT TERN just north of Aquatic Park. There were also three BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS, five RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES and a GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET. Today two AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS flew east over the water, the intergrade NORTHERN FLICKER posed in the garden, two WESTERN MEADOWLARKS moved through and presumed overwintering birds included three HERMIT THRUSHES and two RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS. Later in the morning today, Juan Garcia, Karen Pair and I were on the bridge at Crissy Lagoon when a calling YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD flew right over our heads, heading southwest.