Local Interest - Orioles, Vaux's Swift, new arrivals in the past week

David Assmann

Last Monday a flock of 19 VAUX'S SWIFT flew over Fort Mason - very early for this species. Orioles were seen every day at Fort Mason, with three - HOODED, BULLOCK'S and BALTIMORE - seen Tuesday and today. The first NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW showed up on Wednesday (that same day I had a PIGEON GUILLEMOT at the Wave Organ and three LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS in Crissy Lagoon). On Thursday I had my first of the season WARBLING VIREO at Fort Mason and had four PIGEON GUILLEMOTS north of the Battery.  Friday the first BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD showed up. Yesterday I saw my first WILSON'S WARBLER at El Polin Springs.