Local Interest Fort Mason - Baltimore Oriole, Western Kingbird, Elegant Tern

David Assmann

Three Oriole species were visible at Fort Mason this morning, including the overwintering BALTIMORE ORIOLE, a BULLOCK'S ORIOLE and a HOODED ORIOLE.  There were six warbler species in the garden.  I missed the Black-Throated Gray Warbler seen by others, but I saw YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS (numbers of this species are going down), TOWNSEND'S WARBLER, ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, WILSON'S WARBLER and NASHVILLE WARBLER. 2 PIGEON GUILLEMOTS floated offshore. 1 ELEGANT TERN and 2 CASPIAN TERNS flew over. Got good looks at 2 WESTERN KINGBIRDS, and a quick look at another flock of 8 that I believe were also WESTERN KINGBIRDS. A GREAT TAILED GRACKLE flew over. A quick visit to Crissy Lagoon yielded a WILSON'S SNIPE, a CLIFF SWALLOW, a WILLET turning into alternate plumage, and six LEAST SANDPIPERS almost entirely in alternate plumage.

Kenneth Stampfer

Missed almost all of these but got the Townsend’s to pose.

On Apr 1, 2021, at 5:25 PM, David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann@...> wrote:

Three Oriole species were visible at Fort Mason this morning, including the overwintering BALTIMORE ORIOLE, a BULLOCK'S ORIOLE and a HOODED ORIOLE.  There were six warbler species in the garden.  I missed the Black-Throated Gray Warbler seen by others, but I saw YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS (numbers of this species are going down), TOWNSEND'S WARBLER, ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, WILSON'S WARBLER and NASHVILLE WARBLER. 2 PIGEON GUILLEMOTS floated offshore. 1 ELEGANT TERN and 2 CASPIAN TERNS flew over. Got good looks at 2 WESTERN KINGBIRDS, and a quick look at another flock of 8 that I believe were also WESTERN KINGBIRDS. A GREAT TAILED GRACKLE flew over. A quick visit to Crissy Lagoon yielded a WILSON'S SNIPE, a CLIFF SWALLOW, a WILLET turning into alternate plumage, and six LEAST SANDPIPERS almost entirely in alternate plumage.

<Least Sandpiper.JPG><Willet.JPG><Baltimore April.JPG>