Topics

Local Interest and Wintering Warblers

David Assmann

The BULLOCK'S ORIOLE continues to rattle in the Fort Mason Community Garden and seems settled in for the winter.  When I first arrived at Fort Mason it was quite foggy and a BARN OWL flew right over my head just outside the garden.  At Crissy Lagoon, a continuing/returning LAUGHING GULL was in with about 600 MEW GULLS and 120+ SANDERLINGS (the most I've ever seen in the Lagoon). At El Polin Springs, the BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER was singing. In reference to Josiah's comment about the scarcity of YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, I have seen 40+ at Fort Mason every time I go there, and there are probably a lot more, since they tend to congregate at the top of the Eucalyptus trees, where they are hard to count.