Topics

Lake Merced, continuing Philly, also Red Phalaropes

Eddie Bartley

After the Vireo party, Philly style in the willows west side of south impound, Noreen and I checked out the lake from the bridge.

We noticed a couple of distant phalarope that turned up RED PHALAROPE. Photos here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S74718495

Eddie Bartley

Patricia Mahoney

As Eddie B. described, there were great views and repeated visits with the continuing Philadelphia Vireo yesterday, 10/11/20, afternoon (I arrived at 2:30 PM after reading Dave W’s and Brian F’s reports)! Lots of fun camaraderie as more birders arrived from near and farther away to join the stakeout along the SW John Muir Drive stretch of lakeside willows. The bright sunshine was welcome after periods of heavy drizzle on Saturday (and no encounters with the vireo). The Philadelphia Vireo flew across John Muir Drive and into Vista Grande canal foliage a few times but regularly returned to its preferred willow habitat. As Mark R. described, he, Steve S. and I watched the vireo slow down and settle in on a high willow clump after 5 PM. It was very different behavior from what we’d observed earlier and we wondered aloud why it appeared to be resting while it was still sunny and other birds actively foraged around it. It fluffed up to twice its size and nodded its head... so we mused aloud about its possible night flight- and wished it safe travels. It’ll be very interesting to hear if the vireo is seen today! Great to see you, fellow masked birders!

Pat Mahoney
Hayward