Join Us for the 2022 Oakland CBC

Dawn Lemoine

Hello, Bay Area Birders:

Golden Gate Audubon Society invites you to take part in the 81th annual Oakland Christmas Bird Count, on Sunday, December 18— just under 4 weeks away. Please join us.

As a field observer, you'll get to see and hear the bird life in an area that fits your interests and abilities, add to our understanding of the status and distribution of our wintering birds, and have fun doing it. We welcome new birders to help locate the birds that are being identified by more experienced leaders. A rarity or two always turns up; learning about them right away will help you see them, too.

 The Oakland count circle extends from Treasure Island northeast to the San Pablo Reservoir in Contra Costa County, and south to St. Mary’s College in Moraga and the Oakland International Airport. (That includes not just Oakland but the cities of Alameda, Emeryville, Berkeley, Albany, Orinda, Moraga, and Lafayette.) With its wide variety of habitats, the 2021 Oakland CBC boasted 183 bird species!

 View the Count Map:  https://cbcviewer.appspot.com/

 Maybe you'd rather just count birds in your yard on December 18.  We are in great need to Feeder (Yard) Watchers.   Feeder Watchers can spend as much or as little time watching birds as they wish, and their observations also advance our knowledge of winter bird populations. If this interests you, sign up as a feeder watcher.

The sign-up deadline is December 4, so sign up today at
https://goldengateaudubon.org/birding-resources/birding-information/christmas-bird-counts/.

Contact us if you have questions about the count:  oaklandcbc@...

We hope you'll take part!

Oakland CBC Compilers,