Topics

Jefferson Square is punching above its weight

Smokey Bear

It must be raining warblers if even Jefferson Square is producing goodies.

Last Friday passing through on my way to play tennis I found six YELLOW WARBLERS, a BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER, a WILSON’S WARBLER, an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER and a TOWNSEND’S WARBLER, a haul I would be happy with from any park.

Today I didn’t want to breathe too much smoke so I sauntered back to sad little Jefferson Square after work. Lucky I had my binoculars. Among the TOWNSEND’S WARBLER, the 3 YELLOW WARBLERS, a YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER was....

a NASHVILLE WARBLER!!! (If I ever have a band, that will be the name.) I got great looks at its gray-sided head, yellow throat, complete eye-ring, and white lower belly.

Among the Yellow Warblers was one bird that stymied me - it was dun-colored overall, as opposed to the greenish dull Yellow Warblers, and its eyes lacked the subtle Yellow Warbler eyering. The eyes seemed to bug out a bit, which put me in the mind of a vireo of some kind, but the eyes lacked a strong white stripe or ring seen on a vireo. I spent a long time looking. Maybe it was a funny Warbling Vireo or a very unusually dull Yellow Warbler, I couldn’t quite tell. I can’t think of anything more exotic it could be.

A Cooper’s Hawk, lots of parrots, some Black Phoebes, and good hummers and corvids rounded out the evening.

Anna