Is this a Glaucous Gull?

Joel Perlstein

Seen today near the west end of the Concrete Bridge at Lake Merced. Looks like the Glaucous Gull I reported on eBird today (see photos of that bird on eBird), except this bird has an all dark bill.
--
Joel Perlstein
San Francisco

Alex Loucks

Hi Joel and all,

Joel, is the first picture attached the same as the bird you saw, with the length of the beak being black? And did anyone provide an ID? I've also attached a second picture which I believe is the GLAUCOUS-WINGED x GLAUCOUS GULL HYBRID, with just the tip of the beak being black. Both were seen in the same area as described by Joel, on the west end of the concrete bridge, yesterday afternoon. Any ID help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Alex

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 10:22 PM Joel Perlstein <joelperl@...> wrote:
Seen today near the west end of the Concrete Bridge at Lake Merced. Looks like the Glaucous Gull I reported on eBird today (see photos of that bird on eBird), except this bird has an all dark bill.
--
Joel Perlstein
San Francisco

Joel Perlstein

The first photo looks like one of the two different birds that I saw near the west end of the concrete bridge. Dominik Moser identified that one as a worn Glaucous-winged Gull, based on the all black bill.

Your second photo looks like the other bird I saw. Based on the descriptions in the field guide I was using, I thought it was a Glaucous Gull. However, the Taraborellis identified that bird as the hybrid. Given the silver coloring on part of that bird’s mantle, the hybrid ID seems quite plausible to me. I am hoping that whoever reviews the eBird rare bird reports will provide a definitive ID. I am certainly not an expert on immature or hybrid gulls.

TO ALL:  PLEASE DO NO REPLY DIRECTLY TO MY EMAIL WITH ANY POSTS CONTAINING OR ATTACHING PHOTOS. THAT FILLS UP MY EMAIL INBOX AND CAUSES ALL SUBSEQUENT EMAILS TO BE PERMANENTLY BOUNCED (until I empty some email).  INSTEAD, PLEASE JUST REPLY TO THE IO GROUP. My settings for the IO Group automatically turn large photos into links, thus keeping my inbox from filling up too fast.
Thanks

--
Joel Perlstein
San Francisco

Alex Loucks

Thanks, Joel, and apologies for not catching I was replying to your email as well as the group!

Best,
Alex