Topics

Increasing numbers of finches @ Mt. D

Paul Saraceni <Paul.Saraceni@...>

This morning (7:15-8:15) in the fog at Mt. Davidson, I observed 21 Pine
Siskins and at least 48 Lesser Goldfinches (many juveniles), my high counts
for the year for both species. 3 Orange-crowned Warblers (including 2
juveniles) continue in the bramble at the Summit.

Paul Saraceni
Paul.Saraceni@...

Mark W. Eaton <mweaton@...>

Paul Saraceni wrote:

This morning (7:15-8:15) in the fog at Mt. Davidson, I observed 21 Pine
Siskins and at least 48 Lesser Goldfinches (many juveniles), my high counts
for the year for both species. 3 Orange-crowned Warblers (including 2
juveniles) continue in the bramble at the Summit.
Any idea if this is simply post-breeding dispersal or possibly the beginning of
a southward movement for these birds?

Mark
--
Mark Eaton mailto:mweaton@...
SFBirds Web Page http://home.pacbell.net/mweaton

"Money can add nothing to what I already have. What enables me to live
better is ideals. Besides, money is like snow in winter. It
accumulates slowly, but melts away rapidly."

- Ba Jin, July 1944, from the Epilogue of "Garden of Repose"
(Foreign Language Press, Beijing, China, first edition 1988. ISBN
0-8351-1055-9)

Dan Murphy <murphsf@...>

Hi all,

Just back from my Lassen trip for GGAS. Of relevance here though is the
surprising number of Pine Siskins I had at snow level -- about 7500 ft and up. I
don't recall numbers like this in recent years. The birds I saw were almost all
feeding on fir and hemlock seeds on melting snow. There were no siskins at lower
elevations. It seems they are following the snow line upward and it may be they
are concentrated in a few areas I managed to find. They are an irruptive species
and this may be the start of an up cycle for us.

The best bird of the trip was a Great-tailed Grackle at Manzanita Lake in Lassen
National Park. I had it Thursday and Friday at the boat launch area, but missed
it Sunday morning. The bird appeared to be a sub adult male. It showed brown
marking on the wings and the central tail feather was not yet fully developed.
Yes, a truly terrible, terrible, good bird.

If you're getting this for the second or third time its because I've been having
trouble with my sfbirds "membership". I think it should be ok now. Sorry for any
inconvience.

Best, Dan