Topics

Hybrid Pintail Lloyd Lake

Joachim Gonzalez

I’ve been seeing a lot of reports of the supposed eclipse male Northern Pintail at Lloyd Lake that is molting to adult plumage. In the photos I’ve been seeing, it doesn’t look to me like a pure pintail. Some things that seem wrong for pure pintail are the Rufous/brown feathers coming in on the breast. The breast of a pure pintail should be bright white, but this seems to indicate a Mallard X Pintail hybrid. Plus the head feathers molting in look blackish/iridescent which is completely wrong or Pintail. Again, points to Mallard X Pintail hybrid. Graeme Colmer’s photos show this very well, checklist linked here.

Good Birding
Joachim Gonzalez

kim

We're the wings clipped?  If domestic hybrid that was dumped, it may have a clipped wing.  Otherwise a wild hybrid?

Be Kind. Lady Karma is Always Watching.

On September 13, 2019, at 3:29 PM, Joachim Gonzalez <gonzalexgaming21@...> wrote:

I’ve been seeing a lot of reports of the supposed eclipse male Northern Pintail at Lloyd Lake that is molting to adult plumage. In the photos I’ve been seeing, it doesn’t look to me like a pure pintail. Some things that seem wrong for pure pintail are the Rufous/brown feathers coming in on the breast. The breast of a pure pintail should be bright white, but this seems to indicate a Mallard X Pintail hybrid. Plus the head feathers molting in look blackish/iridescent which is completely wrong or Pintail. Again, points to Mallard X Pintail hybrid. Graeme Colmer’s photos show this very well, checklist linked here.

Good Birding
Joachim Gonzalez

David Barry

Agreed not pure Northern Pintail.