Hooded Warbler, Red-eyed Vireo

Mark W. Eaton <mweaton@...>

This morning, Eric Preston and I headed out to see what we could turn up.
Ft. Miley and the washes were quiet, so we headed to Middle Lake. The glen
at the south end of Middle Lake appeared to be quiet, but after a quick
pish, I heard a quick 'whip-whip', not unlike the call of a Curve-billed
Thrasher. The bird was active in the foliage at the south end of the glen
and both of us got excellent looks at the RED-EYED VIREO in short order.
The dark line between the supercilium and the crown and the red eye were
both evident. It then gave a more typical "cheerawee" or something of that
ilk and moved up into the eucalyptus canopy where we finally lost it. Also
present was a HUTTON'S VIREO.

On the circuit around the lake, we heard an unfamiliar song (we hadn't heard
Rich's report yet), so we chased this down and found a/the gorgeous singing
male HOODED WARBLER, in its moving from the willows and myoporum/pittisporum
up into its typically habitat, a tall cypress :-) Maybe the female at Mt.
Davidson will eventually find its way to GGP!

Other birds of note on an otherwise quiet morning was a WHITE-THROATED SWIFT
at the north end of Lake Merced between the parking lot and the wooden
bridge and a PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER seemingly lost deep in the eucalyptus
northwest of the parking lot at the north end of Lake Merced.

Mark
--
Mark Eaton mailto:mweaton@pacbell.net
SFBirds Web Page http://home.pacbell.net/mweaton

"Leaders should lead as far as they can then vanish. Their ashes
should not choke the fire they have lit."

- H.G. Wells (1866-1946)