HOODED WARBLER @ Mt. Davidson, 05/27/00

Paul Saraceni <Paul.Saraceni@...>

This morning I observed a female HOODED WARBLER at Mt. D around 8:25 for
approx. 1 minute. The warbler was foraging in a large round bush with
bright red berries on the left side of the main trail as you head north and
down from the summit -- approx. 1/3 of the way from the summit to the top of
the Ravine trail. There is a white flowering plant in front of this bush.
The Hooded repeatedly fanned its tail and flashed its characteristic white
outer tail feathers during my observation. I was unable to relocate the
warbler after my initial observation; I left Mt. D at 9:45.

Observations of local interest:

Band-tailed Pigeon 9
Western Wood-Pewee 1
Ash-throated Flycatcher 1
Swainson's Thrush 2
Warblers:
Yellow 1
Wilson's 7
Western Tanager 1
Black-headed Grosbeak 3
Lesser Goldfinch 6

Paul Saraceni
paul.saraceni@derwin.com

Alan Hopkins <ash@...>

Mt. Davidson is the Hooded Warbler capitol of California! That must be
about the sixth record in less than ten years.

Alan

Htcotter@...

Alan,
Based on what info I have available this would be the 4 th since 89, on Mt D
birds have been seen in 92, 94, 98 and 2000. The two yesterday would be the
15th and 16th in the city since 89. Unfortunately I probably only have
partial data, so maybe sf in general should be the Capital. 92 was the year
with 4 seen in the city.

Interestingly today while unsuccessfully looking for the RE Vireo, we had the
Hooded (presumably the same one) in the same glade at middle lake and it was
giving a different song to that it had been giving all morning.
Beautiful bird,
Hugh