Topics

Gull ID

spw49@...

As a beginner birder, I'm confused about how to ID gulls. This one was at Palace of Fine Arts last week. It looks like a juvenile herring gull, but there is no mention or depiction of that white tip on the dark bill in any of the guides I have looked at. Can anybody help?
Thanks.
Sally Whitehead

Alvaro Jaramillo

Sally

The key to the young gulls is to know the adult versions. In particular, focus on the size and shapes. How fat they look, if the bills are think or heavy etc. This is a young Western Gull. Although you could go to plumage, for me it is the big bulkly look, a long neck, relatively small eyed look. But most importantly it is the big bulky bill that becomes thicker towards the tip, blob ended. That is key. The pale tip is an oddity, weird. Shapes and structures vary less than the plumage at times, and the best way to learn the shapes is to stare at many, many adults where you are more comfortable knowing what they are. From there, extend that to the youngsters.

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

alvaro@...

www.alvarosadventures.com

From: SFBirds@groups.io <SFBirds@groups.io> On Behalf Of spw49 via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2020 9:05 AM
To: SFBirds@groups.io
Subject: [SFBirds] Gull ID

As a beginner birder, I'm confused about how to ID gulls. This one was at Palace of Fine Arts last week. It looks like a juvenile herring gull, but there is no mention or depiction of that white tip on the dark bill in any of the guides I have looked at. Can anybody help?
Thanks.
Sally Whitehead

Alvaro Jaramillo

…. Sorry about all of the spelling issues 😊

Alvaro Jaramillo

alvaro@...

From: SFBirds@groups.io <SFBirds@groups.io> On Behalf Of Alvaro Jaramillo
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2020 10:28 AM
To: spw49@...; SFBirds@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Gull ID

Sally

The key to the young gulls is to know the adult versions. In particular, focus on the size and shapes. How fat they look, if the bills are think or heavy etc. This is a young Western Gull. Although you could go to plumage, for me it is the big bulkly look, a long neck, relatively small eyed look. But most importantly it is the big bulky bill that becomes thicker towards the tip, blob ended. That is key. The pale tip is an oddity, weird. Shapes and structures vary less than the plumage at times, and the best way to learn the shapes is to stare at many, many adults where you are more comfortable knowing what they are. From there, extend that to the youngsters.

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

alvaro@...

From: SFBirds@groups.io <SFBirds@groups.io> On Behalf Of spw49 via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2020 9:05 AM
To: SFBirds@groups.io
Subject: [SFBirds] Gull ID

Thanks.
Sally Whitehead