Topics

Gull "Colony" in Mission Bay District

Stephen Schulz

There is a large fenced in asphalt area where Mission Bay Blvd and Channel Street run into the traffic circle at Owens Street.  Three pairs of Western Gulls have set up housekeeping and at least two of them have downy chicks wandering around.  One doesn't get too many opportunities to observe this species at close range at that age, so it's a bit exciting.

There also is one pair evidently nesting on the roof of the eight story building across from where I live on Brannan St.  I've seen copulation and nesting material being brought in. There is often on bird sitting on the corner of the roof, but I can't see onto the roof to verify what is actually happening there.

Be safe,
Steve Schulz

Steve Schulz
San Francisco