Topics

Greater White Fronted Goose and Cackling Goose at Crissy; Red-Naped Sapsucker and Yellow-Shafted Northern Flicker at El Polin

David Assmann

Started the morning at Crissy Field, where a young GREATER WHITE FRONTED GOOSE and a CACKLING GOOSE were in with the CANADA GEESE. At El Polin Spring, I had what I thought was a RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER, but based on the attached picture it looks like a bit of a hybrid, with a few red feathers on the chest. There were a number of NORTHERN FLICKERS, including one Yellow-Shafted. Yesterday there was a family of RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS at Fort Mason - three birds interacting. I've attached pictures of the Red-Naped, the Greater White Fronted Goose, the Yellow-Shafted Northern Flicker, and the Clay Colored Sparrow from Lafayette Park on Monday.