Topics

Goldeneye @ Stow on 3/17

Ken Moy

Hi, sorry for the late post. Yesterday, during my solo and socially distanced foray in GGP, I spotted a female or immature goldeneye @ 9:30 am between the stone bridge and the boat house. Refound it near the boat house around 10:30. Both times it tended to dive and forage close to the surface of the water and I as able to track its progress through eddies and bubbles. The bird had a medium brown head with dark brown/black bill, white collar at the base of the neck, light gray breast and sides and blackish wings with minor white streaks. Could not determine whether it was a Barrow's or Common but the high forehead inclined me towards Barrow's. Hooded merganser continues at Stow but the cinnamon teal did not appear. Also had the red-breasted sapsucker (ruber) in the first  eucalyptus on the south side of the Oak Woodland that heads west from the water fountain behind McLaren Lodge around 11:30.

Happy birding and be well.

Ken Moy

Dario Taraborelli

The goldeneye was there at the end of the day (6pm) on the south-east side of the lake. I don’t have photos but I think I saw yellow eyes which would potentially rule out a juvenile. I’ll try and go back later and check out the lake again.