Topics

GGAS Field Trip at Fort Mason - Orchard Oriole and Nesting Hummingbirds, etc.

David Assmann

Today's Golden Gate Audubon field trip participants were able to see most of the overwintering special birds, including the male ORCHARD ORIOLE, a YELLOW-SHAFTED NORTHERN FLICKER, an Intergrade NORTHERN FLICKER and a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER in the garden.  We were able to observe three different hummingbird nests, including an ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD feeding young at a nest in the garden, an ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRD nest above the steps leading down to Aquatic Park, and an ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD on a nest in a Cypress tree above Black Point (unfortunately about 20 feet from a sign saying that tree removal would start there on Tuesday - don't know if the tree with the nest is slated for removal). Three WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS flew over. A WHITE-THROATED SPARROW was foraging in the Battery. A NASHVILLE WARBLER was in the garden early in the morning, and we observed two ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER - one in the garden and one in the Battery. The WESTERN BLUEBIRDS were checking out the nest holes in the Cabbage Palm next to the Chapel.