Topics

FW: That gull

Stephen J. Davies <sdavies@...>

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen J. Davies [mailto:sdavies@...]
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2000 1:38 PM
To: Josiah Clark
Cc: Sfbirds
Subject: RE: [SFBirds] That gull

Josiah and co
I have not had a chance to go check out this gull yet (has it been seen
since?), but I would be EXTREMELY cautious about claiming an Iceland on the
West Coast at this time of year. 1st year gulls of a number of species can
look very pale (even white) at this time of year, particularly in the (by
now) very worn retrices and remiges. This is particularly so with species
that have pale 1st year plumages to start with (e.g. Glaucous-winged), but
even those with a lot of pigment can look incredibly pale by now (check out
the 1st summer Glaucous-winged (specimen) and California Gull on Don
Roberson's page at http://montereybay.com/creagrus/SCZgullmys.html - yes a
CALIFORNIA Gull!). Personally, I would not attempt to distinguish a 1st
year Iceland from a pale 1st year Thayers at this time of year. But it
should be possible to determine if it is thayeri/kumlieni, rather than
glaucescens or other type, from a combination of size and structure. How
big is it? What is the shape of the bill? Head shape? Even if it is only
a Thayers, I imagine this would be quiet something - they should all be way
to the north by now.
Don's page (http://montereybay.com/creagrus/SCZgullmys.html) also has an
excellent discussion on the problem of summer claims of white-winged gulls -
pertaining to a summer claim of Glaucous Gull in this instance, but the same
problems apply to Iceland too. Sorry to pour cold water on this, but I
think a heavy dose of caution is in order. I would love to see this bird if
it is still around, so please post any further sightings.
Might also want to check Don's photos and excellent discussion of an Orange
Co. bird that appears to be a classic Kumlien's in every respect
(http://montereybay.com/creagrus/ORA_kumliens.html).

As an aside, I don't think you need to worry about bringing up the rear in
the B2K Harry - I added one species last month!:|. I did see 190 species on
a 2 week tip to AZ though. Oh well...
Hope to see you all soon
Bird hard
Stephen