Fort Mason this morning - Northern Red Bishop, Bullock's Oriole, etc.

David Assmann

The Community Garden at Fort Mason was quite active this morning.  I got good looks at the continuing BULLOCK'S ORIOLE. A NASHVILLE WARBLER showed itself on the west side several times. Six BAND-TAILED PIGEONS flew low over the garden. The big surprise, however, was a male NORTHERN RED BISHOP at the feeder in the middle of the garden.

Alvaro Jaramillo

David

   I was first going to say that likely in that plumage one cannot separate from other similar bishops. But those really long uppertail coverts extending past the tail should seal the deal as a Northern Red Bishop. That is in addition to incoming black bits, and “orange” bits. The bird looks a bit more orange than is typical, that may be due to poor food sources not allowing it to gather enough carotenoid pigments? In any case, a good learning experience for me regarding the usefulness of uppertail covert length in the ID.

alvaro@...

www.alvarosadventures.com