Topics

Fort Mason Local Interest - Golden Crowned Sparrow

David Assmann

The surprise bird today at Fort Mason was a GOLDEN CROWNED SPARROW sitting on the north fence of the garden - must be an oversummering bird that has managed to elude observation the last few months. A PACIFIC SLOPE FLYCATCHER also was in the garden - probably an early dispersing bird. A WHITE-THROATED SWIFT flew by a few times. There were three young HOODED ORIOLES in and around the garden - observed one flying south up the hill which made me wonder if they fly back and forth to Lafayette Park.  The WESTERN BLUEBIRDS have successfully fledged young - the first bluebirds to fledge at this location since I started birding at Fort Mason.