Topics

Fort Mason Local Interest

David Assmann

No new rarities, but there are a couple of interesting continuing birds at Fort Mason.  The male ORCHARD ORIOLE has now almost completely changed color and was active in the garden this morning. A YELLOW-SHAFTED NORTHERN FLICKER is often in the garden and the Battery (there may be two birds), along with an intergrade NORTHERN FLICKER.  The WANDERING TATTLER was on the pier at high tide this morning. I had eight WESTERN MEADOWLARKS on the Great Meadow this morning - this has been a banner year for them at Fort Mason - I've had 111 since the third week of September - last year during the same time period I only spotted 17. 54 species total this morning.