Topics

Fort Mason Local Interest

David Assmann

I was on a pelagic trip yesterday so I didn't make it to Fort Mason and arrived a little later today, but still managed to see a few typical western migrants, including a BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK, 2 BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS, 7 YELLOW WARBLERS, an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, 2 BULLOCK'S ORIOLES, a PACIFIC SLOPE FLYCATCHER, and at least 11 WESTERN TANAGERS. I watched several of the tanagers fly in from over the Bay and land in the Battery. The surprise bird of the day was a BONAPARTE'S GULL.

Later in the morning I went to Crissy Lagoon, where the RUFF was foraging by itself, and 2 AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS were sleeping on the sand.