Floodgates Open on Buena Vista

Brian Fitch

I tried to take the morning off, but an Olive-sided Flycatcher caught my eye from the window; a house first.  I ran up the hill to see what else might be happening, and in addition to that bird still hawking from the same branch, another was on the south side of the hill.  And then the show really got going, though I wonder how much more intense things might have been at sunrise.

Highlights between 9:30-11:30 included:
Western Wood-Pewee 2
Pacific-slope Flycatcher 3-4
Cassin’s Vireo
Warbling Vireo: many!  Six in one tree with others singing nearby, and multiple birds on three sides of the hill.
Swainson’s Thrush 1-2 : not regular on the ground here
Orange-crowned, Black-throated Gray, Townsend’s, Hermit, and Wilson’s Warblers together gleaning in oaks on the NE slope
Western Tanager 1-2
Black-headed Grosbeak

Brian Fitch