Ferruginous & Early Arrivals

Brian Fitch

I was doing a quick scan out of my kitchen window when I spotted a distant raptor heading south.  It was flying laterally, and appeared to be a harrier from the obvious white rump, but luckily it caught a thermal and began circling and gaining altitude.  Then I could see that it was a buteo and not a harrier, and it gave me time to post a quick message and then run down the hall and get my 10x binos rather than my 8x kitchen pair.  The Ferrug slowly drifted closer to my position, allowing adequate views dorsally of the white rump, the dark mantle and inner wing, white outer wing, and ventrally it was very white.  It then broke from the thermal and headed south.

Earlier, I was out at Lake Merced and then Mt Davidson.  Around 7:30, there was an interesting set of early birds on the lake, three female Buffleheads, four Mew Gulls (don't bother correcting me) and a Glaucous-winged Gull.  Mt D had a male American Kestrel, at least three Fox Sparrows, and some Cedar Waxwings, and both sites had only sparse representations of other migrants.
Brian Fitch

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 11:39 AM Brian Fitch via groups.io <fogeggs=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Looks like a juv Ferruginous Hawk heading south towards Bernal.  I picked it up circling over the upper Mission
Brian Fitch