February 13th Pelagic - Bodega Bay (Sonoma/Marin County Trip)

Lucas Corneliussen

Hi All

To start off the Winter/Spring pelagic season off, I will be leading a February 13th pelagic out of Bodega Bay, Sonoma County to Bodega Canyon (SON.
County) Cordell Bank (MRN County) possibly the Continental Shelf (assuming weather permits). The trip will be on the New Sea Angler (65 ft. Coast Guard approved vessel) with Captain Rick Powers, a 40+ year veteran of the open ocean and someone who has been running pelagic trips for over three decades. The goal will be to get offshore as quickly as possible in order to maximize time for winter specialities such as Short-tailed Shearwater, Flesh-footed Shearwater and HOPEFULLY a Short-tailed Albatross. Other possibilities are Leach's Storm-Petrel, Parakeet Auklet (a species seen last winter on several Rockfish survey boats), Mottled Petrel, Horned Puffin, Thick-billed Murre (recently seen in Mendocino County) and any species of booby. Late-winter is a time of year not often covered by pelagic boats so who knows what we may discover out there.

Compared to last winter, wind has been quite mild this winter so Rick and I are much more hopeful of running these boats than we were last year and we think that this trip could be quite calm. That said, if you are interested, please let me know ASAP. The cost of the trip will be $145 per person.

Good Birding,

Lucas Corneliussen