Topics

Fall Migrants at Corona Heights Today

Sarah Burton

It was birdy at Corona Heights this morning. Our monthly Audubon walk had a total of 14 participants. Thank you to all who attended – hat tip to Dominik and Erica for their contributions. Highlights below:

Early in the parking lot, an exciting 30 minute show: One of each
  • Red-tailed Hawk
  • Red-shouldered Hawk
  • Cooper's Hawk
  • American Kestrel
competed with each other in pursuit of Red-masked Parakeet, House Finch, and Mourning Dove flocks all while our stalwart hummingbirds did their best mobbing.

Migrants and newly arrived:
  • Western Tanager - flock of approximately 18 departed Flint St. tennis courts at 10:13a
  • Cedar Waxwing - flock of approx. 6 flyover, heading SW at 8:28a
  • Yellow Warbler - flock of approx. 7 flyover, heading S 9:02a
  • Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) - FOS, 1 in poison oak against northside hill
  • Townsend's Warbler - FOS, 2 on grounds of museum entrance
  • Western Flycatcher, Willow Flycatcher, House Wren - FOS, respectively 2, 1, 2 (bench)
  • Warbling Vireo, Hutton's Vireo - FOS, respectively 3 and 1 ("Johnny One Note")
  • Fox Sparrow (Sooty) - FOS, 5-6 atop north side of hill
  • Hermit Thrush - FOS, 1, vocalizing below deck
  • Golden-crowned Sparrow - FOS, 2-3 foraging at base of west hillside, dog run
  • Ruby-crowned Kinglet - FOS, 1 vocalizing in oak below deck 10:18a
  • Red-breasted Nuthatch - FOS, 1 vocalizing in parking lot conifers, erupting
Birds are on the move. This morning at Corona Heights was birdy but fall migration has not yet peaked, either in terms of abundance or variety – has not yet reached peak so get out there. Stay safe, though. Unfortunately, I found my bike stolen from the parking lot rack at the end of the walk today. A disappointment to be sure, but also an opportunity to get a new pair of wings.

Bird on,
Sarah