Topics

Eve grosbeaks

Brian Fitch

Two female evenings just flew over heading north them turning east at Land's end between east wash and west

Visible and calling loudly.
Brian Fitch. 8 55 am

Brian Fitch

Most of my sightings today were of local interest.  Before and after 8AM, the East Wash below the Legion of Honor was very lively, with Band-tailed Pigeons, a Red-breasted Sapsucker, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Golden-crowned Kinglets, flyover Western Bluebirds, singing Varied Thrush, Red Crossbills, and many Pine Siskins all present.  At one point, I looked up to a high flock of roughly 70 Varied Thrush flying over.  They headed north until they got over the water and then turned toward the bridge.  There were also many flocks of Band-taileds crossing the Gate in the distance, with a flock of around 120 out toward Battery Godfrey, another flock of 40 right behind, and five other large pigeon clouds queued up along the Marin ridges.

I was traversing the parking lot below the museum when the two female Evening Grosbeaks flew over, giving their emphatic "peeuw" call.  Like the thrushes, they flew north until they reached the coast and then turned eastward, disappearing behind the golf course cypresses.

The knoll just north of the Sutro Baths had a Bewick's Wren and a Spotted Towhee in the wood piles, and the baths themselves had a returning Marsh Wren, as well as 27 Ring-necked Ducks.  Ft Miley West was full of Red-breasted Nuthatches, with two separate flocks of them beeping away in the conifers.
Brian Fitch