Topics

Crissy Field Lagoon - Bird Summary

Felix Rigau

Yesterday on my bicycle ride through the Presidio I stopped and noticed two WHITE PELICANS on the sandbar at the Western side of Crissy Lagoon. The prior evening I birded Crissy as well and had close-up views of both the continuing RUFF and RED-NECKED PHALAROPE from the footbridge. While viewing these birds a PEREGRINE FALCON flew in and made several passes and swooping dives flushing out the Elegant Terns, Gulls and Crows leaving only a LONG-BILLED CURLEW on the sandbar. The Falcon made a quick circle and returned to swoop down on the CURLEW who evaded the attack by literally hunkering down in the water. The FALCON cried out as he shot by me and flew away from the lagoon area. The CURLEW seemed undaunted by the attack and simply got up, shook out his body feathers, and continued to feed on the sndbar as if this was just a daily nuisance. What a vivid personal reminder that it is tough being a bird!

Good Birding,

Felix Rigau