Topics

Crissy Field Lagoon

Felix Rigau

Around mid-day I walked over to Crissy Lagoon to check out the flock of ELEGANT TERNS . Concurring with my last count there were upwards of 500 birds presenting a dramatic visual and audio spectacle. The ongoing parade of walkers, joggers and tourists on bicycles also seemed to be enjoying this avian spectacle as they paused to look and gander (bird pun intended) at the dense flock on the sand bar near the foot bridge. A pair of juvenile FORSTER’S TERNS as well as an adult and juvenile CASPIAN TERN were also observed mixed in with the flock. A RED-NECKED PHALAROPE and a SPOTTED SANDPIPER were also seen foraging along the margins of the lagoon. A beautiful day for birds and people alike!

Felix Rigau